Vegan Sub Sandwich Recipe
In the realm of vegan cuisine, the Vegan sub sandwich has emerged as a beloved classic. Bursting with fresh, vibrant ingredients and boasting a medley of textures and flavors, a vegan sub sandwich is a delightful culinary adventure. Whether you’re a long-time vegan, a plant-based enthusiast, or simply seeking to explore new flavors, this article presents a tantalizing vegan sub sandwich recipe that will satisfy your taste buds while nourishing your body with wholesome ingredients. Get ready to embark on a mouthwatering journey through the layers of plant-based goodness!
A vegan sub sandwich is a true culinary masterpiece, packed with an assortment of fresh vegetables, protein-rich plant-based fillings, and flavorful spreads
that come together to create a satisfying and delicious meal. By using ingredients like tofu or tempeh as the protein base, you not only infuse your sandwich with essential nutrients but also add a hearty texture that mimics traditional meat fillings. The combination of colorful vegetables and sprouts adds a refreshing crunch and a burst of vibrant flavors.
The creamy spread, whether it’s a garlic aioli, avocado spread, or zesty hummus, acts as the glue that brings all the elements together. It adds a rich and smooth texture while enhancing the overall taste profile of the sandwich. Seasonings and condiments like smoked paprika, cayenne pepper, and nutritional yeast can be used to add depth and complexity to the flavors, while a drizzle of balsamic glaze or a squeeze of lemon brightens the taste.
The assembly of the vegan sub sandwich is an art in itself. By layering the ingredients strategically, you ensure that each bite offers a harmonious combination of flavors and textures. Starting with the protein source, followed by the fresh vegetables, sprouts, and additional toppings, you create a balanced and satisfying sandwich that is as visually appealing as it is delicious.
When serving your vegan sub sandwiches, consider presenting them on a platter or wrapping them in parchment paper for a casual and inviting presentation. Pair them with a side of fresh salad or crunchy veggie chips to complete the meal. Whether enjoyed at a picnic, packed for lunch, or savored during a casual get-together, these vegan sub sandwiches are sure to impress both vegans and non-vegans alike.
In conclusion, this vegan sub sandwich recipe offers a delightful blend of flavors, textures, and wholesome ingredients. It showcases the versatility of plant-based options while delivering a mouthwatering experience. Whether you’re embracing a vegan lifestyle or simply looking to explore new and exciting culinary creations, this vegan sub sandwich is a must-try. Indulge in the layers of plant-based goodness and savor the satisfaction of a delicious and nourishing meal.
- 1 crusty baguette or whole-grain roll
- 8 ounces of firm tofu or tempeh
- Assorted fresh vegetables (e.g., bell peppers, tomatoes, cucumbers, radishes)
- Handful of sprouts (e.g., alfalfa, broccoli sprouts)
- Vegan mayo
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Optional seasonings and condiments: smoked paprika, cayenne pepper, nutritional yeast, tamari, liquid smoke, balsamic glaze
Prepare the Protein:
a. For tofu: Drain the tofu and press it between paper towels to remove excess moisture. Slice the tofu into thin rectangular pieces. Marinate the tofu in your preferred marinade for at least 30 minutes to infuse it with flavor. Grill or pan-fry until golden brown on both sides.
b. For tempeh: Slice the tempeh into thin rectangular pieces. Steam the tempeh for 10 minutes to soften it. Marinate the tempeh in your desired marinade for at least 30 minutes. Grill or pan-fry until crispy and browned.
Create the Creamy Spread:
In a small bowl, combine vegan mayo, minced garlic, lemon juice, Dijon mustard, salt, and pepper. Mix well until smooth and creamy. Adjust the seasonings to taste. Set aside.
- Prepare the Vegetables and Sprouts:
Wash and slice the vegetables into thin, uniform pieces. Rinse the sprouts thoroughly and pat them dry.
Slice the Bread:
Cut the baguette or whole-grain roll lengthwise, creating a top and bottom portion. If desired, lightly toast the bread for added crunch.
Assemble the Vegan Sub Sandwich:
a. Spread the creamy mayo mixture evenly on both sides of the bread.
b. Place the marinated and grilled tofu or tempeh on the bottom half of the bread.
c. Layer the fresh vegetables and sprouts on top of the protein.
d. Optionally, sprinkle desired seasonings such as smoked paprika, cayenne pepper, or nutritional yeast for added flavor.
e. Drizzle tamari or liquid smoke for an umami kick.
f. Finish with a drizzle of balsamic glaze for a tangy touch.
Bring it Together:
Gently press the top half of the bread onto the assembled fillings, creating a sandwich. Cut the sandwich into individual portions, if desired.
Serve and Enjoy:
Place the vegan sub sandwiches on a platter or wrap them in parchment paper for easy handling. Serve them alongside a fresh salad or a side of crunchy veggie chips. These sandwiches make a perfect meal for picnics, lunchboxes, or casual gatherings.
- 1/2 block tempeh (4 ounces), cut into 4 triangles or rectangles (depending on your bread surface shape)
- 1 medium sweet potato, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch slices
- 1 tsp grapeseed oil
- 1/4 onion, grated
- 1 small clove of garlic, minced
- 3/4 cup natural ketchup (Trader Joe’s and Annie’s are fantastic)
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp sriracha (or other hot sauce)
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tbsp worcestershire sauce (Annie’s brand to the rescue again!)
- Make the sauce: heat the grapeseed oil in a small saucepan over medium heat. Add the grated onion and garlic and saute until very fragrant, about 1 minute. Add the ketchup, vinegar, sriracha, maple syrup and worcestershire sauce to the pot and stir to combine. Bring mixture to a light boil, stirring here and there. Simmer until mixture thickens slightly, about 7-10 minutes. Remove from the heat and set aside (leftover sauce will keep for one week in the fridge in a sealed, non-reactive container).
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside. Place the tempeh pieces and sliced sweet potatoes in a medium-large saucepan. Cover with water by about an inch and simmer until sweet potatoes are soft, about 7-8 minutes. Carefully remove tempeh and sweet potatoes to a plate. Pat dry with a kitchen towel. Place tempeh and sweet potatoes on lined baking sheet.
- Heat your barbecue to medium-high or set your oven to broil. Brush tempeh and sweet potatoes with barebecue sauce. Place under the broiler or onto the barbecue. Flip and baste with sauce every minute or so, until coated to your liking and there’s a bit of char on the outside.