Turkey Shepherd’s Pie
Turkey Shepherd’s Pie is a much leaner alternative to lamb, and this lighter version of a much-loved family classic always goes down a treat in my house. For ease, I have used shop-bought mashed potatoes in this recipe, but for an even lighter dish, feel free to substitute this with the Low-Cal Cheesy Mash of this website.
PREP: 10 MINS
COOK: 1 HR 10 MINS
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup (115g) frozen chopped onions
- 1 tsp frozen chopped garlic
- 500g lean turkey mince
- 1 heaped tbsp plain flour
- 1 cup (70g) grated carrot
- cup (70g) of mushrooms, chopped
- 2 tbsp tomato purée
- cups (480ml) low-sodium chicken stock
- 1 tsp dried rosemary
- 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 2 × 425g packs of pre-cooked mashed potatoes
- 1 cup (60g) low-fat, pre-grated cheddar cheese (optional)
How To Make Turkey Shepherd’s Pie
Lighter Serve: Steamed green veg
Family Serve: Crusty French bread and your choice of vegetables
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over a medium Add the onions and garlic and cook, stirring, for about 2 minutes, until soft.
- Add the turkey mince, breaking it up with a wooden spoon, and cook, stirring regularly, until browned.
- Add the flour, carrot, mushrooms, tomato purée, chicken stock, dried rosemary, and Worcestershire sauce and stir to combine. Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce the heat to a gentle simmer and leave to cook for 25 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the mixture has thickened and the turkey mince is cooked through.
- Once the pie filling has thickened, remove the pan from the heat and pour the mixture into a large baking
- Crumble the pre-made mash over the top of the pie filling in an even layer and sprinkle over the grated cheese, if
Transfer the pie to an oven preheated to 180°C/350°F/gas mark 4 for 30 minutes until the filling is bubbling and the top is golden. Serve hot with your choice of accompaniments.
Set the pie aside to cool to room temperature, then either cover it with a lid or a layer of foil followed by a layer of clingfilm, label and freeze for up to 3 months.
TO COOK FROM FROZEN
This can be cooked straight from the freezer. Uncover the pie and transfer to an oven preheated to 180°C/350°F/gas mark 4 for 1 hour 10 minutes, until piping hot throughout. Cover with foil if the top starts to catch.