Spicy Turkey Burgers
Spicy Turkey Burgers: Trying to eat healthily needn’t mean missing out on the things you love and, whether served in a bun with wedges on the side or just with a simple salad, these spicy burgers will satisfy all of your burger cravings without any of the guilt! If you are making these for kids, feel free to play with the spices (or cut them out entirely) to suit their tastes.
PREP: 10 MINS
COOK: 12–16 MINS
MAKES: 8 BURGERS
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- 500g lean turkey mince
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- ½ cup (25g) panko breadcrumbs
- 1 egg, beaten
- salt and freshly ground pepper
How To Make Spicy Turkey Burgers
Lighter Serve: On half a burger bun with salad on the side
- Line a baking tray with greaseproof paper.
- Put all the ingredients in a large mixing bowl and season with a generous grinding of salt Using your hands, bring the mixture together until everything is well combined. Still using your hands, form the mixture into 8 equal-sized balls and press each one down into a patty, then set aside on the prepared baking tray.
Make it Veggie!
For a vegetarian version, substitute the turkey mince with fresh, plant-based mince and make the burgers in the same way. If you struggle to form the balls, add an extra egg to help bind the mixture.
Lay the burgers on a grill pan and preheat the grill to high. Once the grill is hot, place the burgers under the heat and cook for 6–8 minutes on each side, until cooked through.
Cut 8 squares of greaseproof paper, each one slightly larger than the size of a burger and place a raw burger on each – this will prevent the burgers from sticking together and will allow you to remove them from the freezer individually. Stack the burgers on top of each other and transfer them to a labeled freezer bag. Freeze for up to 3 months.
TO COOK FROM FROZEN
The burgers can be defrosted in the fridge overnight before cooking or cooked from frozen. If cooking from defrosted, follow the instructions in the To Cook section, left. If cooking from frozen, cook the burgers under the grill in the same way but increase the cooking time to 10–12 minutes on each side and ensure they are piping hot all the way through before serving.